Ultrasound technology offers a visual experience for women who wish to view what is biologically occurring inside her uterus.
Ultrasound is safe, reliable information for women “getting the facts” before they make a decision regarding an unplanned pregnancy.
What does an ultrasound cost me?
Pregnancy Help Centers offer referrals for free ultrasounds.
What will they provide at the appointment?
A free ultrasound, a picture of the ultrasound and/or a DVD is provided to take home.
Who does the ultrasound?
The scan is performed by a Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer in a private ultrasound room.
Can it hurt me?
Ultrasound does not hurt. There are no known harmful biological effects from a diagnostic ultrasound.
Can I bring someone with me?
You are encouraged to bring a support person with you such as the baby’s father, a parent, or a friend.
How long does the scan take?
15 to 20 minutes is the average time for the scan.
Where do I go to get the ultrasound scan?
Do a local Pregnancy Help Centers search.
Can I keep this appointment private?
Yes, all information shared is kept confidential.
- Ask what help is available to you if you choose not to have an abortion.
- Ask them over the phone to refer you for a free ultrasound in your area.
Is there anything else I need to know?
- You will be required to drink at least a 16 oz. bottle of water one hour before the scan.
- When you call to make your appointment, ask for clarification about the timing of the drink of water.
- Do not drink coffee / soda before the appointment as it irritates the bladder.
Is an Ultrasound part of an abortion appointment?
Ultrasound is performed as part of an appointment for an abortion to determine how far along your pregnancy is so the clinic can charge you accordingly.
- Abortion prices increase based on how many weeks you are pregnant.
- The ultrasound is an expense charged to you.
- The law says you have a right to see the ultrasound screen.
- Voice that right so you can see what is biologically occurring inside your uterus.
- You are in charge of your body and your health.
- You need all the facts to make an informed decision.
- You can change your mind at any time during the procedure up to the insertion of the suction canula.
- The abortion facility cannot charge you for any medical procedure that is not performed.
Remember, you can have a free ultrasound at a Pregnancy Help Center or through a referral from them.